Friday, August 24, 2012

Drain Cleaner

The pin that taught me how to clean my drain for cheap is here- Best Drain Cleaner
1/2-1 cup Baking Soda +1/2 cup Vinegar
I had a baby and about 5 months later my hair was falling out like crazy! I was sad, and so was my shower drain. It got so bad that the tub just wasn't draining one night. I cleaned it out the best I could but it didn't help much and I was all out of Drano. I remember seeing on pinterest that you can make your own drain cleaner, so I thought I would check it out. The hardest part was getting the baking soda into the drain because our drain plug is attached and only lifts up about 1/2 inch. I fashioned a funnel out of a paper plate and was able to get about 3/4 cup in there. I poured in the vinegar but it foamed up so much I couldn't get all the vinegar in so I didn't think it would work. I plugged the drain and did some house cleaning. After about 45 minutes I boiled a big pot of water and poured it down the drain. The big pot of water went down Slloooowwww. I figured it just didn't work or that I did it wrong since I couldn't get all the vinegar in the drain. BUT! Later that night the tub drained faster than in had in weeks! I was shocked and excited because Drano can be so expensive and I always have vinegar and baking soda in my house!
I would normally show a picture but a few months ago I used an amazingly harsh toilet bowl cleaner (called The Works) to try and remove some of the hard water build up in the tub. Well the cleaner is amazing on the porcelain toilet but definitely not made for anything else, it ruined the metal shine and stained the tub fixtures, not pretty :(

On a cleaning power scale of 1-10 I give this one a 9!

No comments:

Post a Comment