Friday, August 24, 2012

Ruffle Curtains

The pin that inspired these curtains is here- Ruffle Curtain
I thought these curtains were so cute, but I don't sew very well unless its a straight line, and even then my machine often gets possessed. But I really wanted to try these and after reading the tutorial it seemed like sewing straight lines is all I needed to do for the most part. This blog has a great tutorial but I did mine a little differently because I sewed the ruffles onto some curtains that I already had so that they would block out more light for the nursery. I used twin sheets and cut them into 8 11inch strips just like the tutorial said, but I needed one more ruffle for each panel so I needed to get a 3rd sheet. It was hard to line up the ruffles at first so I started at the top, measured for a one inch overlap and drew a line on the back curtain so I knew just where to pin the next ruffle. I LOOOVVEE how they turned out but man they were a big project. The actual sewing was not tricky as long as the sewing machine behaved, but I am not very good with sewing. I do not understand how in 2 seconds the entire bobbin of thread can be knotted up on the bottom of the curtain. Sometimes I turn into a sailor mouth when I sew. But it was worth it. I will say the trickiest part was lining up the ruffles on the second panel. Also when I was all done the ruffles sometimes they flipped up and revealed the grey curtain underneath so I sewed all the ruffled down on the outer edges and I am happy I did that.
.
 
On a tricky scale of 1-10 I give these a 9.5 for uber tricky if you find that you and your sewing machine are often enemies. BUT if you know how to sweet talk your machine they will probably end up being a a fairly easy, yet tedious, project.

No comments:

Post a Comment