Friday, September 7, 2012

Banana Cake Bars

 I got this yummy yummy recipe from this pin: Banana Bars
We had some guests over for dinner on Wednesday. Over the weekend a nasty stomach bug came for a visit so by Wednesday I was craving some serious comfort food. I wanted cheesy soups and fall desserts, but I just couldn't bring myself to make Autumn weather food when it was 100 degrees out. So I made a chicken broccoli cream dish over rice and these banana bars. I fell in love a little bit. These are so good!! I made half of the recipe and baked it in a 7x11 glass dish. Then I made half of the browned butter icing and poured it over the top. Next time I will half the bars but make the whole icing recipe. The icing is so goooood!! I am sad to say that I have not browned butter since I was in culinary school! Shame on me, I have really missed out! I had forgotten how good browned butter smells and the taste of this icing! Oh man it's a little nutty and oh so buttery and sweet and pairs perfectly with the banana bars. And now to give some credit to these bars, it is banana bread taken to the next level of deliciousness. It has the texture of a really good Texas sheet cake. Not as dense as a banana bread and I like that. I made these in the morning and as soon as the icing had set up enough to cut without drizzling I tasted it. It was warm and delicious and I felt happy. Later that night when we had them for dessert I was a little disappointed because I didn't love it as much as I had earlier. But then I popped it in the microwave for 12 seconds and I was back in my happy place! Eat these warm! Part of what makes me happy when I eat these is that I feel like its the perfect bridge dessert between summer and fall. Living in Texas we miss out on the crisp fall weather and the leaves changing. Its hard for me to get excited about soups and pumpkin treats when its sunny and in the 90's, but this is kind of summery and fallish at the same time, so its great for a warm September treat.
I almost forgot to snap a picture as I sat down to eat the last piece for breakfast!!
On a scale of 1-10 this gets a 9 for Yummers and is about a 4 for difficulty to make only because she isn't lying when she says browning butter can go from nice and brown to burnt in seconds. It can be hard to see the color of the butter because the butter fat sits on top as its boiling. You will start to know it's ready by the smell. It will start to smell very buttery and a little nutty, check the color then. It should be a nice golden brown. I had the milk and vanilla in a little bowl on the side to pour in immediately to cool down the browning process as soon as it was ready.

1 comment:

  1. I just made these for a Primary training tomorrow thanks to you! My icing doesn't look all gooey and delicious like in the pictures, (too much powdered sugar) but they're still tasty! Thanks Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete