Monday, September 17, 2012

Dino Dress Up


 
I fell in love with these pins last year: Dino Tail and Dino Hoodie

I really wanted to make these for Cooper last year for Halloween and after reading the Tail Tutorial it seemed doable. It is always interesting when I pull out the sewing machine but once the spikes were sewn it really wasn't too bad. Mine definitely don't look as nice but it works. I made a few changes in mine. For the tail I used an elastic waist band and made it scrunchy style (I became somewhat of an expert scrunchy maker during my high school sewing classes). I attached the kind of clasp they use on dress pants, I don't know what it is called but I used a couple different hooks to clasp it to so that he can wear it for a few years. For the Hoodie I was not very confident in my patience for hand stitching so I make a set of spikes like I did for the tail, I cut the hoodie in half and I just sewed it all together, it doesn't look near as nice but it worked. Maybe in the future I will make a better one and when I do I am going to use a stiffer felt or fabric for the spikes or I am going to stuff them with batting so they stand up more.
 I hot glued on some eyes for Halloween but I peeled them off afterwards so that he could wear the hoodie on a more day to day basis because I thought it was so cute and call me crazy but I like to see kids dressed up as part animals on a day to day basis, it adorable.
 This is nearly a year later and Cooper still loves the dino outfit, maybe I can starch the spikes...
 
This is how it looked after I cut it in half and sewed it back together, my sewing skills are embarrassing but no one really sees this part anyways...
On a difficulty scale of 1-10 I would give it a 7. Anytime I have to pull out the sewing machine it automatically  adds a few difficulty points because I just don't sew very well, however the tutorial are amazing and made it fairly easy, especially if you love to sew (I'm guessing).


1 comment:

  1. That hoodie is just to die for cute! I can't believe you made it!

    ReplyDelete