Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Caramel Apples

There is no pin for this. So maybe I am cheating a little bit crafting something I didn't see on pinterest. I actually was looking for a pin to learn how to do this last year and when I couldn't find one I asked my craft hero Melissa if she could teach me how to make these. It is so simple its ridiculous.
 
You will need:
Fake Apples, what ever color you choose
Sticks, I used tree branches but craft sticks, lollipop sticks, striped straws are all cute too.
 Tacky Glue, its in the craft stores in the gold bottle
Acrylic Paint, we used a color from Walmart called Cinnamon
Ribbon
 
Bore a hole in the top of the apple for your stick. Don't make it too big, just big enough so that you can shove the stick in. You can secure it with glue if it isn't holding tight.
To make the caramel put the Tacky Glue into a cup and add the paint until it is a nice caramel color. I wish I could say how much of each but it just needs to be eyeballed.
The caramel can either be drizzled like I have done or it can be dipped like a traditional caramel apple. If you choose to dip it you want a wider bowl for the glue mixture and you will need more glue mixture to dip into,  but if you want to drizzle it you can just mix the glue and paint in a paper cup and you will just need probably about 1/4-1/2 cup. To drizzle it on just pour the caramel around the stick and let it do its own dripping. The caramel will drip down a lot so you don't after the top 1/5-1/4 of the apple is covered. Put the apples on a plastic baggy (I prefer the freezer ziplocks that are a thicker plastic but just make sure you put the apple on the back of the bag and not on the label part) . Watch it for a few minutes, if it isn't drizzling like you want you can pour a little bit where you want the drizzle and as it drips down it will blend. If you choose to dip the apples dip them in the glue, you may need to roll the apple in the paint so that the caramel reaches as high as you like. Hold the apple so that it can drip off and after the bulk of the paint has dripped scape the bottom of the apple off on the edge of the bowl and place it on a plastic baggy to finish dripping and drying. The Apples need to drip and dry overnight. Once they are dry attach any ribbon you want to. We thought about coloring some glue a chocolate brown and doing brown and white chocolate looking dips or drizzles but decided not to but you can go as crazy as you'd like. I don't know if sprinkles or candies would hold up or get super gross but that could be fun too.
I did say these were simple, but its more because it is just glue and paint on an apple. There is a little bit of trickiness in getting the glue just right with the drizzle and dripping. Just remember that it may not look right but it drips a lot. On a tricky scale of 1-10 I give this about a 3.5, easy enough to tackle and you feel like a crafty rock star afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment