Friday, September 14, 2012

Lesson Learned

I saw this pin and was super excited to make this Pumpkin Treat on this crisp cool day.
The description underneath the pin said this-
Pumpkin Frozen yogurt: 1 Cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1 T. Sugar, 1 t. pumpkin pie spice. {substitute pure maple syrup for sugar}
Easy enough, and I had all the ingredients!! Without even clicking the pin to take me to the link of instructions, I started mixing everything together. I figured I would just mix all the ingredients and put it in the freezer and in a few hours enjoy my delicious skinny treat. As I was stirring it just didn't look right. It wasn't pale orange and smooth. It looked a little curdly and no matter how fast I whisked the yogurt wasn't smoothing out. This is the part where I learned an important lesson as I clicked on the pin to take me to the link for instructions. The first problem was that you need an ice cream mixer to make this, however I had seen somewhere that you can put the mixture in a Ziploc and freeze it and every 30 minutes squish the bag and mix and mix. So I thought I would still give it a whirl. I got out my immersion blender and gave it a good blend to get it nice and creamy. I pulled the blender out, licked it clean and discovered my second problem. The recipe on the website calls for non fat vanilla yogurt. The description under the pin calls for Greek yogurt. The two are not the same at all, I thought the Greek yogurt would give it a subtle zip and would pair well with the pumpkin, like pumpkin and cream cheese. Not so. The Greek yogurt made the mixture too too tart and it just didn't go well together in my opinion, and I am a huge fan of Greek yogurt so I was disappointed. I still wanted to freeze it and see if it was better frozen. I don't know if Greek yogurt freezes differently than plain vanilla yogurt or if it was my method of freezing without an ice cream mixer but it just comes out a little on the icy side and not so creamy, and the tartness was still overpowering. All was not lost. I mixed the pumpkin yogurt with a big ol' scoop of vanilla ice cream, blended it with a touch of milk and had myself a tasty not so skinny shake.
For the future ALWAYS click on the link for the correct ingredients and instructions, I think I would have really liked this treat, maybe in the future... once I get an ice cream maker.
I can't rate this on a scrumptious scale because I blew it but I am sure that it is delicious when made correctly!

No comments:

Post a Comment