Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Monster Jars

I loved these cute jars from this pin: Monster Jars
 
I was "organizing" my cupboard the other day and I had two jars that just kept getting in the way, and then I saw that I had green and white acrylic paint and I thought of these jars. I opened up one jar and squeezed in some green paint. Then I put the lid on and shook the jar until the jar was all green. Then I logged onto Pinterest, pulled up this pin, and read the instructions on how to get the black faces on. Well once again I learned that I need to read the pin before I start the craft! She didn't use paint for this project, she modge podged tissue paper to the outside of the jar and then she modge podged the faces on, and then she can put a votive in the jar. Weeellll I had already started and I didn't have any tissue paper that wasn't pink so I just decided to go with the paint. I put the white paint in the other mason jar, shook it till it covered and then I found a smaller jar for my orange pumpkin. I didn't have orange acrylic paint so I used my sons crayola washable paint and it is holding up okay. In case you are wondering, painting the insides of jars with leftover house paint didn't work for me, it looked good for three days but then it just separated and dried out funny and one day I looked at the jars and they looked really bad, it was a shame. Anyways, once the insides of the jars were colored I grabbed a black sharpie and started to draw on the faces. I copied how hers look because they are darling, but I didn't use her template because I was lazy. But if you don't feel comfortable drawing on the faces she has a cute template you can print out for the faces. Now because I painted the insides I don't know if light will shine through as well. I definitely won't be putting a candle in them but maybe I will pick up a few battery votives and try it out. Also I need a bit of ribbon for the lids.  But for now they just sit on my shelf looking Halloweenie and I am just fine with that!
 
 
On a tricky scale of 1-10 these get a 1. So So easy and quick and if you use her stencil your jars can look just as cute as hers!

No comments:

Post a Comment